Skip to Content

Academy

In October of 1907, Father Hayes purchased the old German Lutheran Church located across the street to the south of St. Patrick Church for $800. The newly opened St. Patrick Academy was already overcrowded. The old church was remodeled to be used for the primary grades. To tie the two schools together, Father Hayes contracted with Addy & Hilliary for 450 feet of beautiful iron fencing to match that surrounding the Academy.

 

The Official Catholic Directory of 1909 lists St. Patrick Parish as part of the Diocese of Davenport. 6 sisters of Mercy were teaching at St. Patrick Academy-enrollment 200 pupils.

Father Hayes was already talking about an academy in 1899.

The St. Patrick Academy opened on September 9, 1907.

Year

High School

Grade School

1925-26

19

80

1926-27

27

76

1927-28

24

80

1928-29

25

58

1929-30

39

62

1930-31

34

64

1931-32

42

63

1932-33

33

51

1933-34

NA

NA

1934-35

28

57

1935-36

28

49

1936-37

33

48

1937-38

25

41

1938-39

26

40

1939-40

25

40

1940-41

25

47

1941-42

18

43

1942-43

21

51

1943-44

23

50

1944-45

27

65

1945-46

23

61

1946-47

19

63

1947-48

NA

NA

1948-49

20

59

1949-50

22

60

1950-51

23

63

1951-52

23

60

1952-53

33

NA

1953-54

31

NA

1954-55

28

50

1955-56

23

51

1956-57

25

50

1957-58

23

51

1958-59

24

56

1959-60

33

82

1960-61

34

96

1961-62

HS Closed

103

1962-63

NA

1963-64

99

1964-65

NA

1965-66

79

1966-67

77

1967-68

NA

1968-69

33 - Grades 7 & 8 closed